Formation of The Gardens Trust
4th August 2015
The main aims of the merger of the GHS and AGT are:
- To speak with a more powerful voice for the protection of parks, gardens and historic landscape;
- To play a key garden conservation role in the planning system as a statutory consultee;
- To provide support to strengthen the local activity of the County and Country Garden Trusts;
- To be an internationally regarded centre of excellence in the study of garden history;
- To live within the means of the merged organisation and be financially sustainable over the long term.
The first AGM of the Gardens Trust elected a slate of 12 members of the Board, and a new chairman, Dr. James Bartos, and a new Vice chairman, Michael Dawson, were elected by the Board. Dominic Cole OBE, formerly chairman of the GHS, was elected President. Five sub-committees were established to reflect the areas of activity and interest of the new organisation covering conservation, events, publications, membership and administration and finance.
For further information see: www.gardenhistorysociety.org/post/agenda/the-formation-of-the-gardens-trust/